What are you making?

Kia ora Class 4,

Most of you know that I love knitting socks. Family members do line up for them, they say it not only keeps their feet warm, they love having a little bit of me with them when they wear them. Normally it takes me about a year to complete a pair- yay for this lock down- I actually might get my knitting project done! I've decided I'm actually going to make them for myself this time. I'll call them my isolation socks.


If you look at this and you think, that's quite nice Angela, but it looks actually really complicated, I'm not sure how relaxing this knitting will be, then you are absolutely right.

I have a tendency to fall in love with a design, ignore all indication on ability levels and then just figure it out as I go. I wouldn't recommend it as an easy way, but it usually works out for me in the end.

I have a few other 'isolation ' projects around my house from previous times. When you have a little baby, you are not really in lock down obviously, but babies like to keep you on call all the time and it is not so easy to leave the house often. So one baby winter, I was looking for a project to do. A good friend of mine told me that she finds embroidery so relaxing. So I went out and bought a set. Without checking ability or experience levels of course.


I learned a lot making this.

1. Just because my friend thinks this is relaxing doesn't mean that I feel the same.
2. It is a really good idea when you start with something you have never done before, to keep it simple. The above picture is not simple, it had 7 different shades of lilac.
3.  I really don't like doing embroidery

I managed to do the face of the woman and the body of the baby quite well, but threw the project into the corner trying to get the lilac dress done. Luckily my Mum visited for a few months and she finished it for me.

4. Never underestimate the fact that you'll need your Mum, no matter how old you are.

In the end, I am very happy with the result and it still hangs in my bedroom. I often think of my Mum when I look at it and send her a silent Thank You.

Years later, I saw another embroidery kit in a lovely shop. Again I fell in love with the design and because there was only one colour involved, I thought this one would be a lot easier. I bought the set and David laughed, saying, "You'll never have time to finish this one". Then, in 2015 I broke my leg when I crashed my motorcycle. THREE DAYS BEFORE THE SUMMER HOLIDAYS. Which meant another time of isolation, this time barely moving away from my sofa. I got absolutely stir crazy, so I thought I might as well give embroidery another go.


This time I learned:

1. Only ride motorcycles with ABS so your wheel doesn't lock up
2. One colour embroidery is different, but not necessarily easier than lots of colour
3. I really shouldn't buy any more embroidery sets.

Anyway, they all are part of my story. One day, my bird socks will also be part of that story too. I love the binge reading time I'm having at the moment, but to get my hands moving is so satisfying.

I am not alone in this, I absolutely love this picture of Emilia and her sister:



Of course, you might bemaking something totally different. One of my friends' children has taken down the door of his bed room and has been sanding and painting it in the garage. Maia has been making a really cool checker board - she did all the measuring and designing herself.



What are you making? Draw or glue a picture of it in your journal and write about your isolation project. It doesn't matter if it is knitting or crocheting or embroidery or wood whittling or sanding down your bedroom door- the satisfaction of getting stuck into something with your hands is a great spirit lifter- so good for building this resilience I talked about last week in Bouncy Castles.

And here's some good news: I just spoke to Janice and she is very happy to help you with any of your handwork questions or any craft projects. Send her an email or get your parents to send one to her at janiceb@ch.steiner.school.nz and she'll get back to you on our usual handwork days, Tuesdays and Thursdays. You can of course also ask our own Amelia to help you- she knows more about knitting and crocheting then I do and is always happy to help.Or ask your Mum- like I did.

Love it if, when we get back to school, you'll bring I anything you have made during lock down. Well, maybe not your bedroom door, but you know what I mean. I'm aiming wearing my socks on our first day back together.

Have fun making whatever tickles your fancy Class 4 and find your bliss xxx


Comments

  1. I've nearly finished a knitting project I started last winter. Win. Happy sock making. Sarah and Maia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was the project? Would love to see. My socks are nearly at the heel ;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Connections and a Quizz

We Are Going On A Bear Hunt and We're Not Scared!

The Comfort of Good Food