Growing Together

One of the things I really really find hard in this isolation and distancing is that I cannot go to a plant shop. I know, in the light of people losing jobs or getting ill or losing their lives and loneliness it is non important at all. But. Not having access to things is a bit of a test in what is important for us in life and what not. I do not miss the Warehouse. I can live happily ever after without ever setting foot in Riccarton Mall again. If plants and flower shops would never open again though, I would be quite crushed.

The 10 best house plants for absolute beginners | Stuff.co.nz

When school opened again for teachers (during lock down no-one was allowed in the building at all) the first thing I did was checking on our class plants. And I watered all the cacti in the foyer at the top, you know, the ones you see when you are waiting for your violin lesson. You'll be relieved to hear that none of them had died. They sure were happy to see me and they were super super thirsty.

This made me ponder why I like plants and flowers so much. What is that make me excited about them? And I think I know why.

Because they grow and are alive. They don't ask much, they are just  patiently standing there. They add something really nice to your room, you see them change, you see them grow. It is nice to have something to look after and care for, especially because they respond so well and quickly to just a little bit of attention.You grow together, both bringing joy to and looking after each other.

And it's okay to include them in your bubble during a pandemic.

I am not alone with my plant love. Look at this New York girl:





My plant collection is A LOT more modest. To be honest, I like the look of that apartment, but it would be way too much for me. I rather have a few plants which I look after well than the responsibility of 500. Starts to sound like stress to me.

Anyways, anyways, anyways. As soon as the plant shops are open, I am going to buy myself a really nice houseplant. And every time I water it I'll be thinking back of the time where I couldn't buy new plants due to isolation and what that meant for me.

A lot of my plants have special memories for me. They are cuttings which have been given to me by friends and neighbours or I bought them for a special occasion for myself. Stacey and I have a lively plant exchange, which is kind of a nice language between the two of us without words.

Here's your task: Grow something. Anything you like. Obviously you cannot go to a nursery, but that makes the project actually more exciting. People have grown plants for centuries without nurseries.Succulents are easy to grow a cutting from or a cactus (wear gloves!). Spiderplants are abundant with little bundles of babies.



Spider Plant is one of the easiest houseplants to care for ...

Hen and Chicken Ferns also grow their own little babies



Hen And Chicken Fern 1.3L

Like people, plants are different. You will have to do a bit of investigation and research of how to go about this. If you are lucky enough to have a green fingered person in your house, ask them. Otherwise, phone a friend, a grandparent, ask the neighbour over the fence. Phone Fleur, her Mum is the school gardener, no doubt she will have some advice.

Once you found your plant, here are some tips to get you going- you wont be able to go the nursery like she suggest, but the basic ideas are really good.



In your journal, describe how you got your baby plant. Make a drawing of it and explain where you have put it and why. Tell what you did to get it in the pot, where did you get the pot, the potting earth? How are you going to care for your plant?

I hope your new plant will be a sparkly addition to your bedroom and your life.
Cute lovely kawaii house plants cartoons Vector Image

💖Love those peeks into your bubbles💖


Nadia's "Form Drawing"






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Connections and a Quizz

We Are Going On A Bear Hunt and We're Not Scared!

The Comfort of Good Food