Let's Wrap It Up

Hands up if you think we will be back in Class on Wednesday?


My hand is certainly up there. And even it is not this Wednesday, it can't be too far in the future. So-  time to wrap up your writing.

Ending your writing is often hard-and a really important part. Without an ending, the story is just filling space. That's why I only allow one sudden death or waking up and discovering it was all a dream per year. How do you feel when you've just been on this exhilarating journey with your character and then BAM, they die. Or wake up. Epic let down huh?

Did you read the Series of Unfortunate Events? I read all thirteen books and I LOVED them. I'm still not over the ending, and it's ten years ago that I finished the series. Like I said, epic letdown. You broke my heart, Lemony Snicket.

What was your story about? Where was your character in the beginning, how did they feel? What have they overcome, what have they learned, what has changed in their lives? It doesn't have to be a dramatic turn around, it can be very subtle. Did they gain a bit more confidence? Did they stand up for the right thing and do they realise how important it is to listen to that inner voice? Do they not feel lonely anymore, despite having lost their friend? Has the relationship between characters changed? What is it what you want your hero or heroine to walk away with?

Super important: don't over explain the feelings. Here is where you really have to SHOW, not tell. So instead of

Telling: Michael was terribly afraid of the dark.
Showing: As his mother switched off the light and left the room, Michael tensed. He huddled under the covers, gripped the sheets, and held his breath as the wind brushed past the curtain.

Telling: I walked through the forest. It was already autumn and I was getting cold.
Showing: The red-orange leaves crunched under my feet as I pulled the collar up on my coat.


   And then, it is time to publish your writing. It is totally up to you how to do this- you can write it out beautifully with your own illustrations, you can bind it Yuko style or you can use an existing notebook. You can go all out and make it a book:

                         

This one is made from an empty rice box!


You can use materials, rings, harakeke, ti kouka leaves


You can use an old book and you draw over the writing, which is a really fun look and you glue your handwritten story over the other pages. Cover the cover and voila, your book is ready. This technique is called 'An Altered Book"

Disclaimer: Ask the adult in your house if you can use the book BEFORE you start cutting and pasting and drawing in their precious old books!

Or, just keep it simple and staple it together.


You do you. Meanwhile, fingers crossed for today's announcement, maybe we can see each other's books on Wednesday!



 Bonus Feature


The Diary of Merlin The Dog in the Tough Times of the Leash.

Father's Day is my absolute favourite day of the year. There's not a whole lot of meat happing in my bubble on any other day, but on Father's Day, the kids cook a Full English Breakfast for David. Yep, all the works. Sausages, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, baked beans, hash browns, toast. Oh the smells...

I wish it was Father's Day every day, all year round.

And guess who is there to help with the left overs?

They want me to sit and give my paw- I think I look slightly weird like that. I mean, it's not totally dog like. What is the neigbourhood cats saw me, me, the Big Bad Dog, The Terror of the Hillsborough Hood, sit there and give my paw to the humans and all that?

But then again, like I said, meat is pretty rare here, so I decided to just go for it. I sat and pawed.

It was TOTALLY worth it.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Connections and a Quizz

We Are Going On A Bear Hunt and We're Not Scared!

The Comfort of Good Food