Tips from the Master

 


Neil Gaiman

Norse Mythology, Unfortunately the Milk, Interworld, The Graveyard Book (Emilia's Book review),, Cinnamon, The Blueberry Girl. I can go on and on and these are only the children's books, he has also written loads of adult fiction and together with the late Terry Pratchet he wrote about a million books- if you haven't tried them yet, give them a go, they are SO funny.

Neil doesn't only write prolifically, he also speaks about writing and mentors young writers through the process. He has brilliant tips on writing. This is why today's blog post is going to be The Neil Gaiman's Guide to Writing, instead of Tips from the Teacher.

Spoiler alert: you will see that many of my suggestion come from him. 

Let's start with the 8 rules of writing


Love it that there is a rule for no rules: a man of my heart.

Just to remind you:


Another important tip:


Recognise the 'butt in the chair?' from Elissa? So many great writers can't be wrong!

A favourite of mine:


Remember how we talked with both Elissa and Joanna about the 'mid way slump?' This is what Neil has to say about it:


And finally, something so incredibly important and probably the one we need to work hardest on a a class:


And that's not only true for writing I might add.

I hope you feel inspired by Neil, Class 5 and that you write write write write. And when you're done, read Neil Gaiman, he will make you think, he will make you laugh, he will make you feel.

Neil Gaiman had also quite a lot to say about art. Get your art supplies ready: we will be talking about illustrations tomorrow.




Bonus Feature


The Diary of Merlin The Dog in the Tough Times of the Leash.

Good news. Last night, the Hobbgobblins returned Mr Chewy. Tad dusty, but Mr Chewy is alright. He looks a bit grumpy, but I'm sure that's just because he hasn't seen me in awhile.
So you might think I can relax. Not so, not so. Something terrible has happened. Something really bad has happened. Really really really bad. 

A UFO has landed in New Zealand. Right here, in my garden. I hadn't seen it before, and suddenly, there it was. It was loaded with ammunition. Aliens landed on and off, unloading the ammunition. It was a dangerous situation, I tell you.

Initially, I observed closely from my secret spot behind the French Doors. When I understood their tactics, I attacked. I did my 'Hillborough Hood terror thing" just much louder. I made sure the aliens could NOT unload any more ammunition. I was on guard for the next 24 hours, making sure no-one would be able to come close- no aliens, no people. It's tough, but I am here to protect.

Not sure how appreciated my effort are. Heard Angela muttering something along the lines of waste of birdfeed, need for peace and quiet and neighbourly relationships. I'm not sure that she completely understand that I have managed to turn an alien invasion around, ALL BY MYSELF.














Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Connections and a Quizz

We Are Going On A Bear Hunt and We're Not Scared!

The Comfort of Good Food