Pick Up the Paints

 

Creative processes are hard to fit in a strong schedule. Sure, you have to do that butt thing, but if your mind is anywhere close to mine, it is hard to predict exactly what part of your book you are working on.

For example: I work on three blog posts at the same time. One is nearly finished and I work on proofreading, lay-out and finishing touches before I click 'Publish". The other is a rough draft with jumbled ideas, loads of illustrations of which I probably delete half, badly written sentences that not even a Dutch person will understand and which need serious re-doing and lots of highlights which means: come back to this.

And then there's a halfway draft somewhere in between which is starting to fall into place.

Neil Gaiman writes all his first drafts in fountain pen in a note book. Because he thinks it more fun that way.



Most of my writing ideas don't happen when I'm writing. I find them on my walks, during pigeon post in my online yoga class, while I do dishes. I store them away, until I have The Butt In My Beanbag and then I just go for it.

(FYI my bean bag is in my garden in that glorious sun at the moment. Might as well create a work place you love if you're going to do some work)

On top of that, Merlin bombards me with stories which I am trying to fit in.

What I am saying is: your imagination and creativity is much more interesting than a check list of what needs to be done. Which is why it is much easier to create a book in lock down instead of in a time table at school. Make the most of it, play with your book.

Today I want you to start thinking how you are going to present your writing. 

Are you going to do lots of fabulous large water colours like a children's book?


Or are you going to use very simplistic line drawings?

Does your story/ article need a visual explanation?


Or an interesting map?



There really are no rules. However, somewhere in your book, even if it is only the cover, you need to add a drawing or a painting to your story. The picture needs to say something about what kind of story you are looking at. Think of when you choose a book yourself: the first thing you notice is the cover, right? If you hate the picture, do you even bother with picking up the book?

The images also give you a big hint what kind of book it is. If I am looking for a book on how to change the oil in my Bonneville, my eyes are probably not so much attracted by a dreamy, washy water colour. If I am looking for a book on How to Use Oil Pastels, do I look at a black and white cover?

You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but let's be honest here: presentation does a lot.

So today's task: work on your writing, but also start playing around with your art equipment. What would work, what would be fun to do? Think of Joanna's drawings, they didn't get used for publication, but they helped her getting the picture right for herself, she just enjoyed doing them so much.

Meet your characters with your pencils or paints, what kind of clothes do they wear, how does their hair look? Are they barefoot? Do they have hands in pockets or are their hands busy with exploring? How does the setting look?

Full disclosure: I hadn't touched my paints and pencils at all this term. Then it was Tama's birthday on Tuesday and I realized I didn't have a card. So I got out my supplies and just started doodling- before I knew it I had lost track of time and was absorbed in the flow and fun of art. And we had a birthday card for Tama.

Play with your art supplies, dream of your story, edit some writing. And share it with your bubble and my email address, I would love to see what you've got so far.

Have a great weekend, Class 5, catch you on Monday!




Bonus Feature


The Diary of Merlin The Dog in the Tough Times of the Leash.

I am a very happy dog. A very busy dog as you have seen, there is a lot of responsibility in my life keeping The Family safe. But I have a happy disposition. Angela asked me what my secret to happiness is and if I could please share it with Class 5 on the blog.

The answer is easy: you need to roll. Everyday. Roll onto your back and look at the sky above you. Wriggle wriggle wriggle and shake your hips. Scratch you back in the green fresh grass. Wave your legs in the air and joyful grumbles will escape from your lips.




Guaranteed recipe for blissful happiness. Just try it yourself.









Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Arabella? Really? I haven't seen her doing that much at school, must be a home thing. But it is a great idea, maybe we should do Morning Circle rolls first thing every day when we are back at school. I'll think about it.

      Delete
  2. THAT'S SO ADORABLE!!! I LOVE MERLIN! =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Connections and a Quizz

We Are Going On A Bear Hunt and We're Not Scared!

The Comfort of Good Food